Wednesday, May 30, 2012

{what's in my camera bag}

**I'm skipping Wishful Wednesday today. It'll return next week!**

I sort of stumbled upon the hobby of photography about five years ago. I was given the opportunity to travel to Montana to study photography, & I fell in love with the art.

I'm completely self-taught, but I did take a high school course on digital photography & a history of photography course in college. I just fiddle with my camera, read the manual every now & then, & look for tips online.

But the most crucial way I learned was through EXPERIENCE. Just use your camera. Get more comfortable with it. Whether it's a small Canon Powershot or the lust-worthy 7D, using your camera is the best way to learn. Simple, right? ;)

Many people ask me my opinions on cameras, what they should buy, etc.  I'm completely brand loyal to Canon. I love their cameras. I haven't tried any other brand--maybe one day--but for now, I'm a Canon freak. {But I've heard wonderful things about Nikon & Sony!}

Click "Read more."


This was my first camera:

Canon G7


{on amazon, it says you can buy one new for around $900. yeah. my camera wasn't close to that price.
i don't know what the deal is, but amazon is being crazy.}

I LOVE this camera. It's not only the perfect size, but it takes unbelievable photos. My model is from 2006, but it's still in near-perfect condition. It's been to St. Barths, Montana, South Africa, Costa Rica, Jamaica, & California with me, & it barely has a scratch on it. There are so many settings packed into such a small body--it's seriously amazing.

Here are a few I took with this:




I felt a little at a standstill with that camera after a few years. I wanted more. I wanted to be able to choose my lens & shoot manually. I wanted to be able to shoot in RAW. I was very lucky that my mom bought a Canon Rebel XT, which she let me borrow & use. {Although I haven't given it back in three years! Thanks mom! xo.}

Canon Rebel XT 



It's basically my partner-in-crime these days. I take my camera EVERYWHERE.

The lens that came with the camera broke somehow before I started using it...so I immediately had to buy a new one. Since I was such a beginner with this type of camera, I didn't want to spend a boatload of money...but I also didn't want to waste money on a mediocre lens. I found a happy medium:

Canon 50mm/f1.8





This lens was worth EVERY penny. 

It takes outstanding portraits. It takes a little bit of time to get used to it--there isn't "zoom" capability. YOU are the zoom...meaning if you want to take a close-up shot, you must walk up to your subject. {Although, this lens really only takes close-up shots; the frame is very tight.}

In short: buy this. Great starter lens for a great price.

Next, I wanted a lens that was a little wider. So for Christmas I asked for this lens:





{my younger sis & i}
I grew to love this lens. Honestly, I was a little disappointed in the beginning because I thought it would have a wider shot, but in the end...it's really great. Like the 50mm, this lens does not have a zoom...I am the zoom. I keep this lens on my camera all the time...it's my go-to & default lens. 

You can see above that this is great for wider landscape shots, as well as portraits & close-ups. I definitely think it's worth the price.

My final & newest lens, {& one from a Wishful Wednesday post!} has been my biggest investment. 


{me, taken by my sister...just giving credit where it's due!}

{me}
I waited a long time to buy this lens, mainly because of the price. But I wanted a higher-end portrait lens...& this was perfect. It's similar to the 1.8 lens, but the bokeh/background on the 1.4 blends much more nicely. They are both equally sharp.

So there you have it! That's what's in my camera bag. I also have three polaroids, some video cameras, & a speedlite but they aren't used nearly as often. 

What's in your camera bag? Have any questions for me? What brand do you use? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig