Thursday, May 24, 2012

{homemade coasters}

Ready for another DIY project? :)

I cannot take credit for this...I learned it from my friend Holly. But now I'm addicted!

I was in Paper Source {seriously my favorite store} the other day, & I saw this nautical paper. I thought it would be perfect for some coasters for our beach house!


I also thought it would be the perfect opportunity to record the step-by-step process for you all.

{Just a heads-up..the lighting was really bad in my dining room. The pictures aren't the best.}

Here's what you need:


1. Paper Mod Podge
2. Acrylic Sealer {any brand}
3. Felt {I use the kind with a sticky-back}
4. Brushes
5. White tiles {16 cents each!}
6. Decorative paper

You can buy all of these at any craft store, like Michaels or AC Moore.  The tiles are from Home Depot or Lowes.

Step 1: Clean the tile with a wet paper towel. It gathers quite a lot of dust on the shelves!



Step 2: Using the felt, trace a square around the tile. Then, peel the sticky-back and put it on.

Also, I used a very sturdy piece of felt...not the flimsy kind. And in the picture below, you can see the white paper you peel back for the sticky part.




Step 3: Same thing as above. Using the tile, trace a square outline on the paper you want to use. You'll probably not get it perfect on the first cut, so make sure you keep checking how it fits on the tile. I cut it so the paper is about a millimeter from each end.



Step 4: With your brush & Mod Podge, paint a thin layer of 'podge on the tile.



Step 5: As carefully as you can, place the square on the tile. Make sure there are no creases or air bubbles. {But if there is, it's not the end of the world. You can use a small blade/needle to poke a hole in the air pocket & it'll disappear.}


Step 6: After waiting 10 minutes, paint another thin layer of Mod Podge on the paper.

Then wait 15-20 minutes & paint another layer.

Then wait another 15-20 minutes & paint another layer. :)

So...in total, there will be THREE layers of Mod Podge on the paper.

After that dries completely...

Step 7: Go outside and spray the tile with the acrylic spray.


Here's the final product!





I LOVE them! 

It's also my mom & stepdad's anniversary, so I wrapped them up as a little gift. My stepdad is an avid boater in the summer, so he really liked them :)

Here are some others I've made this year. 

The girls are from a 1958 French ELLE Magazine & the other two are from a map of Paris.


Two more from the French ELLE.


Sheet music! 


I don't have pictures, but for Christmas, I made some with the funniest quotes my grandmother has ever said.  She loved them!  They make really great personal gifts.

See? Endless possibilities! :)

If you try to make them, let me know how they turn out!


4 comments:

  1. I was just looking through your blog and saw this! I don't know if I ever told you, but I started using corkboard for the bottoms of my coasters. Try it sometime! It gives it a different feel, and looks really good when you paint the tiles beforehand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the home advancement industry, you need to be properly conscious the drenched tile noticed will be technique more expensive versus circular along with desk saws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a clever woodworking tool project! It makes for a very cheap present during Christmas for colleagues, too!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig