Tuesday, May 1, 2012

{book reviews}



Hello!

I've been a crazy book reader these past few weeks. {Kindle on my iPad is dangerous ;) one click and I have a new book!} Here's what I've been reading:



1) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbioky

SO many people have recommended this book to me, and after seeing that it's being made into a movie, I finally read it.  Here's a short synopsis that I stole from Amazon: "It is a beautiful and painful story about a 15 year old boy, Charlie, moving through his freshman year of high school. It is written in letter form to an unknown friend." Overall, I enjoyed it...but it definitely wasn't my favorite. 


2.) Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected by Kelle Hampton

I've been reading Kelle's blog for a few years now. She is both an unbelievable photographer and writer, and her blog is basically eye candy. This memoir is both witty, and at times devastating, and describes Kelle's journey after unexpectedly learning her daughter has Down Syndrome at her birth. I think I learned more in this book about embracing life and it's challenges than any other book I've ever read. Out of all the books in this post, I recommend this one the most.


3.) A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be kidnapped and captured for 18 years, but that's what happened to Jaycee Dugard. In her memoir, she recalls the harrowing and horrifying details of what went on during those years, and I was continually impressed by her perseverance and strength. It's definitely a tough read in some parts, but knowing of her eventual rescue keeps you motivated to read to the end.


4.) The Next Always: Book One of the Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy by Nora Roberts


I LOVE interior design, and have this odd dream of opening my on B&B one day, so this book was perfect for me! It follows three brothers (each book switches perspectives) who renovate a historic B&B in their small town. There's lots of design talk, romance, heartbreak, and friendship...all in all, a great book. I'm counting the days until the next one comes out! Two weeks :)




And lastly, I recently read another Nora Roberts series...The Bride Quartet. It's about a group of four friends who own their own wedding company. Mackensie's the photographer, Laurel's the baker, Emma's the florist, and Parker is in charge of all the details. Each book switches perspective again, but every one of them was great!  I want to own my own wedding company now :)

Have you read any books lately that you loved? I'm in the market for some new ones...and I'm striking out! Please give me book recs! :)

Check out my friend Laura's blog to see her book recs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig