Tuesday, June 26, 2012

{recipe: homemade ice-cream treats}


I cannot take any credit for this recipe. My sister found it online {here} & declared we must attempt to try it. I was totally on board because 1) they looked delicious, 2) it involved ice cream, 3) if all went well, I could blog about it! :)

& it did turn out well! Not only were they amazing, but they were super easy to make.

{Sorry for the wonky coloring in the photos. My kitchen doesn't have the best lightening at night.  All pics look a bit yellow.}


Here's what you need:
  • Ice-cream {any flavor}
  • Cones
  • Chocolate syrup shell {one that "hardens in seconds"}
  • Any topping: sprinkles, crushed nuts, or mini chocolate chips
  • Wax paper

Click "read more" to see the rest...


1. Fill the bottom of each cone with some chocolate shell. 

{Quick side story: Dylan & I went to THREE different grocery stores to find this. I had made a joke earlier & said, "Let's go on an adventure tonight!"  Who knew finding a chocolate shell would be it? lol}



Stick the cones in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to speed up the freezing process.  We stuck the cones in mugs, but check the website I linked to above for a more clever way of holding them. {Upside-down egg cartons.}

2. Take the ice cream out of the freezer, so it softens a bit. 

3. After taking the cones out of the freezer, wrap them in wax paper. Don't worry if the bottom tips aren't covered -- it's the top that matters. Leave a few inches of paper at the top.




4. Using a spoon, carefully place the ice-cream in the cones. Use the spoon to push it down so there aren't any holes, & fill it up to the very top. We used coffee & mint chocolate chip. 




5. Stick them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Like you can see above, it's messy. Just roll with it...none of this has to be perfect!

6. I didn't photograph this part, but once you take your cones out of the freezer again, fill the top layer with the chocolate shell. Then immediately top it with nuts, sprinkles, or chocolate chips. Place them back in the freezer for a bit.


7. Once you think they're frozen enough, {we left them overnight}, take them out & remove the wax paper. Voila! 

Look how good they look!!



This was a momentous occasion because I haven't had ice-cream in a cone for FOUR YEARS. 
I enjoyed every last bite.

{The gluten-free cones we used, Joy, were amazing.}


Remember the chocolate at the bottom? :)


Again, these were SO easy to make. I can't wait to make them again...especially for parties.

What other combos should I try? I'm think of chocolate ice-cream with a crushed cookie topping :)

If you try these at home, let me know how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig