Wednesday, June 20, 2012

{book review: silver girl}




Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand


Who would you run to if your life fell apart? Meredith had a perfect life. Until her husband was arrested for defrauding everyone they knew out of millions. Hounded by the press, shunned by society, there's only one person she can turn to: her teenage best friend Connie, who she hasn't spoken to in years. But as they retreat to Connie's holiday home on glamorous Nantucket Island, it seems that some of Meredith's ghosts may have followed her. What are Connie's real motives for wanting her there? Who is the mysterious figure out at sea, photographing the two women? And does Meredith know more about her husband's dealings than she's prepared to admit to anyone - even herself? One thing's for sure, before the summer is out, everyone's lives will have changed beyond recognition...(Amazon Description)


I may do an author's spotlight on Elin Hilderbrand in a few weeks, because all her books are great, but today I'm going to write about Silver Girl. I read this at the beach a few weekends ago & I enjoyed it SO much. I have not researched what inspired the story, but while reading it, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the plot & the Madoff Ponzi Scheme trial from a few years ago. Instead of seeing the situation told through the perspective of Bernie Madoff--or in Silver Girl's case, Freddy Delinn--it's told through the lens of his wife. The empathy I felt for Meredith Delinn was overwhelming, & after I finished I couldn't help but think about Madoff's wife Ruth for the next few days. It's amazing how one man could be manipulating enough that hundreds of people hand over their personal fortunes, only to have him run their lives into the ground. He definitely deserved the 150 years in prison that he was sentenced to.

All of Elin's books take place on Nantucket Island, & they never fail to make me want to go there! This book especially, though, because it seems like a simple, perfect escape to your stressful life. {Well, not in Meredith's case.} But on the overwhelming weeks I have, it would be nice to have a place to go to a long drive & ferry ride away...where no one could bother me :)  



I highly recommend this book, as well as Elin's others!



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig