Tuesday, November 6, 2012

{recipe: homemade gluten-free chicken & rice soup}



I was in the mood to cook this weekend {I blame Ina Garten}, but I didn't want a recipe with a lot of ingredients. Unlike Ina, I don't have everything at my fingertips on my 18 ft marble countertop in my kitchen barn. {& she's got an apartment in Paris & sweet husband to boot!}  It was chilly & I was feeling lazy, so soup was the perfect choice :)  It was easy to decide what kind of soup to make since chicken & rice has become my gluten-free chicken noodle.

I had a hard time figuring out the amounts for everything, because this was the type of afternoon where I threw everything out the window & guessed on all measurements. Needs more carrots...could use a little more herbs de provence. & then I dashed & sprinkled some in.  But I think I got it right for the recipe. This serves two people, with some to spare. It's also easy to double. Here we go...

Homemade Chicken & Rice Soup

Ingredients:

- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 qt (or 4 cups) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Step 1: Cook chicken & shred. {See how I do that here.} Just FYI...not all of the chicken below was used for this recipe.


Step 2: Cook rice. Drain.



Step 3: Cut your vegetables. You can add celery, carrots, broccoli...whatever your little BIG heart desires.


Step 4: In a large pot, heat the chicken broth. {I've seen some recipes where it says to start off with some olive oil & vegetables in the pot--before you add the broth--to soften them. Since I was out of olive oil, I skipped this step. Turned out fine.}

This brand was certified gluten-free, so that's why I chose it.


Step 5: Add the vegetables, rice, chicken, & herbs de provence. Let it all simmer together. Stir in the salt & pepper, & add more based on how it tastes.



Step 6: Enjoy!


I watched the second James Bond movie {Quantum of Solace} while I ate my soup. I keep forgetting to buy placemats...so felt was the only substitute I had ;)


Doesn't it look good? 


I had a ton left-over to store for lunches & dinner this week. It's a chilly 39*F outside. I'm so glad I made this cozy soup! :)


What's your go-to soup in the winter? I want to make some more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig