Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{some book reviews}


1. Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand {summary here}

I read Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken a few months ago {phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal. go buy it now.} so I was very excited to read Seabiscuit. I'm fully aware that I'm late to the party on this one, since it was crazy popular a few years ago {& even more so when the movie came out}, but I still wanted to read it. I have a confession: I'm not a horse girl. I don't like to ride them, pet them, watch them.  People hate me for it, but I just can't...go there. It's weird, I know, but it's a thing I have. So I was going into this book expecting that I wouldn't like it.  &...gosh was I wrong!  Reading the play-by-play of the races & training of Seabiscuit had me on the edge of my seat. Laura's writing is unparalleled. The amount of time & research she puts in to each book she writes is truly astounding. I recommend Unbroken WAY more, but Seabiscuit is still definitely worth a read. 

2. Everything Was Good-Bye by Gurjinder Basran {summary here}

This book really bummed me out. It was the kind of book that was sad the entire way through..then something great happens & you're so happy...& then it ends tragically. {Did I give too much away?} Arranged marriage is fascinating to me, so that's why this book captured my attention. I'd also just taken a History of India course, so anything related to the Indian culture is very interesting to me. Overall, I didn't really enjoy this book. No recommendation--I'd skip it.

3. Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee  {summary here}

I also confess that I judge a book by it's cover, which is why Emily and Einstein's cover drew me in. I mean...how cute is that dog? :)  I read this book in two days. Not because it was so amazing that I couldn't put it down, but because I had off work & hours to kill. It was just good. Nothing special or amazing.  The plot took a turn that I didn't expect, & didn't particularly like, so I was a bit disappointed. But if you're going a vacation & need an easy read, this is a good option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig