Wednesday, April 10, 2013

{guest post: 49:17}



I’ve never been a runner.  Sure I’d run a mile or two on the treadmill a few times a week, but I would be running at 5 mph, maybe walking a little, not completely breaking a sweat.

When my bff suggested we run the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k I hesitated but said yes.  Some of you may be thinking it’s only 5 miles.  & I hear ya, I hear ya. 

Training totally kicked my butt into shape.  I began working out hard 7 days a week, mixing up runs of 2-4 miles & intense weight workouts.  I slowly started to see my results paying off as I began losing some weight & looking more toned.

{late night training}

But more than that I started feeling better about myself.  My confidence was up, I starting wearing clothes & trying styles that I typically wouldn't have worn before.  & I actually felt pretty damn good in a bikini a couple of weeks ago. THAT NEVER HAPPENS. EVER.....EVER.

I wish this weekend could have been filmed as a reality show.  I have to publicly apologize to my friend Greta for acting like the biggest baby.  I was so nervous!  I had thoughts of dropping out, & I even made a joke about how funny it would be if it looked like I started the race but actually took a cab to the finish line. Haha. I’m not kidding.

I was nervous because I didn’t want it to be a struggle. I had worked so hard the last few months & I was scared the 5 miles would still be difficult.  Thanks to Chicago’s weather I had to train indoors so the first time I would be running outside was the day of the race!

I set three goals for myself, & I recommend you do the same if you ever run a race.

1. Finish the race (not a joke)
2. Run it in 50 min. (10 min miles…not that crazy)
3. Run the whole time (WAIT…WHAT?!?!)

That’s where the number above comes in.  Not only did I finish the race & never walk, but also I beat my time.  Even though 49:17 is a mere 43 seconds faster, I was still so happy.  I can’t even describe the feeling of running through the finish line, legs feeling like jello, exhausted but relieved that it was over. 

Some people may think I’m being dramatic & exaggerating the race & what it means to me.  Fitness is a huge part of my life as it keeps me healthy & sane (it’s the truth!).  Although you may think the physical part of fitness would be the hardest, for me it’s the mental.  I've wanted to do a half-marathon for YEARS but talk myself out of it because I don’t think I’ll be fast enough, or I think how on earth could I run for 3 or 4 hours straight?!?  Finishing the 8k was a BFD* for me.  & I’m proud of it!

{trying on a short dress...what?!?!}
{ps. sorry for the weirdly cropped photo}

So yes, I am that person who cried a little when I crossed the finish line.  & I’m also that person who jumped on a train & headed to the best ice cream shop in Chicago! (ps: it was closed when I got there & barely being able to stand, I almost started sobbing.  pps. It eventually opened and all was right in the world again)

In the end, I’m so glad I signed up (thanks G!)  My family and friends were so supportive during the whole training process, & have even vowed to run the next race with me!  My advice?  Sign up for a race!  It can be as small as a 5k or as big as a marathon.  With determination, positivity & in my case, Justin Timberlake’s “Mirrors”, you’ll cross the finish line in no time!

*BFD=big fucking deal


{Greta & I after the race!} 


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig