Tuesday, April 16, 2013

{boston}



I woke up yesterday morning missing Boston. Big time. There's just...something about Patriot's Day that makes me so proud to go to my college. The energy in the city is electric. The streets are filled with happy city-goers. Spring is in the air. Kids are off from school. Adults are off from work. Students are off from college. Everyone corrals together and watches the marathon as one giant group.

The past three years I've waded my way through the throngs of people right up to the finish line. I've watched the marathon from the finish line every year since moving to Boston. My dad is an investor in a restaurant at the finish line, so we always meet there and watch together.

Yesterday morning during the B show taping, while I was snacking on my lunch, I checked Twitter. Most were, admittedly, dumb celebrity tweets. But the most updated tweet said this: "Marathon runner down. Reports of an explosion at the finish line."  I thought it was a joke; like some sort of weird metaphor. Explosion of athletic ability? Explosion of city pride? Surely not a real explosion, right?

But then the other tweets started coming in. Words like bombs and blood and broken bones jumped out. My heart dropped.

My thoughts went immediately to my dad and siblings. Were they okay? Were they at our spot at the finish line? What about my friends? Or the other runners? My roommate was in Boston this weekend, and her flight was scheduled for yesterday afternoon. Did she get to the airport? Or did she stop by and watch some of the marathon?

I called my dad. He answered in a cheery tone, letting me know his Turks & Caicos vacation was going amazingly well. He hadn't heard yet. I've never been more thankful to have him out of the country. My brothers and sisters are with him there too. My friends, to my relief, are okay and safe.

Seven people from my college were among the injured.

This hit way too close to home.

I'm feeling some weird emotions. Part of me is thankful to be safe out here in LA. So, so grateful for that. But the other part of me is sad that I'm not there. That I'm not there to help people or be in the city that holds that special place in my heart. I'm aching to hug my friends in Boston. I'm looking forward to graduation for a whole new reason.

Hug your family and friends. Please keep the victims and their families in your thoughts and prayers. They're certainly in mine. This is just unspeakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig