Thursday, June 19, 2014

guest post: noble soul {a tattoo story}

written by: dylan mullen

a few minutes after
almost three years ago, i came up with an idea for a tattoo.  i was in Rome, sitting in my school’s library, & it just came into my mind.  

noble soul

my mom (& her family’s) last name is Noble & it is incredibly fitting.  they are good people. kind, selfless, funny, unpretentious, creative, imperfect, trustworthy, good people.  they are noble & completely exemplify the name they bear.

5 quick minutes and it was done!
i was holding my breath the entire time


if you know me well, you know what role my mom plays in my life.  she is my saving grace; my hero. the person i turn to first when i need help or comfort; the person i turn to for fashion advice, cooking recipes & inspiring quotes.  but more than that, i’ve learned through her example how to be a good person in this world.  she does everything for others & expects little in return; she is a quiet soul that communicates most through her daily actions for other people.  she is the bravest, most beautiful person i know & above all else & like her family, she is noble.  my mom goes by her middle name, patricia, & when i looked up the meaning of her name recently, i was stunned- it means noble. i just couldn’t believe how perfect (& freaky) that was.

simply, i strive to be a noble person.  i want to be like my mom & our Noble family: loving, honest, trustworthy, & true.

i might be a Mullen, but my soul is Noble.

sooo happy with it

so this is for them.  to my Noble fam- you are the best. i love you so much & consider it a privilege to be a part of this family.  there is nothing else i would rather have permanently inked to my body than our family’s name.

***

to be completely transparent, although i did this for them, i think my parents & grandparents (maybe even Liv) wish i hadn’t.  they knew i wanted to get a tattoo, but i think they would have preferred me not to, & are a little surprised i actually went through with it after talking about it for three yearsi rarely rebel or do something out of line- i guess that’s the “goodie-two-shoes in me”- which to be honest, i’m not all that ashamed of.  but in the last few years, something has stirred in me to be more adventurous & brave.  i don’t want to be afraid to do something unexpected in this one life we’re given.

in almost every aspect of my life, i care A LOT about what people think of me.  i never want to hurt anyone’s feelings & i would never want someone to think less of me for a decision i made.  it’s something i struggle with & need to get better at, as i can’t always strive to make everyone happy- especially when it comes to my own happiness.  99% of the time if my parents or siblings ask me not to do something or think i’m about to make the wrong choice, i listen to them.  this was one of the first permanent choices i made that pretty much goes against what they think.  it’s an uncomfortable feeling which makes me sad, but in the end, this is a tribute to them.  i love my tattoo & i have no regrets, & i think they like it too, but are still coming around to the idea.  i believe tattoos are a very personal choice since it’s your (personal) body, & i think they can be really beautiful if you do them right.    


taken by my mom while she exclaimed, "wow! i actually really, really love it." makes me so happy.

so for those of you that want a tattoo: think about it & take your time!  it’s so much classier (& cool) to have it mean something significant. i weighed the pros & cons for three years before doing this - but stick to your own timeline, not mine.  find a clean, respected parlor & check it out first.  i went to a custom shop called Eight of Swords in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) & i LOVED them.  they made me feel comfortable & put me at ease which was super important to me since this was my first time.  on top of that, they were incredibly talented & were able to trace my exact handwriting on my body. so neat!  i also suggest bringing one or two people to keep you calm.  i brought my step-sister & good friend shanon to give advice on size, placement, and moral support. thanks girls!

oh & one more thing…

it didn’t hurt.

-dylan


7 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! great post! -em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Dylan! 44 years into this life with a dad who has nine tattoos and I'm still too chicken to get one myself. Haha. Your story is beautiful and the tribute is just outstanding. Your family has much to be proud of! Hugs! -Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I know your mom and it all fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also The Tattoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ink may fade and come out in patches and since you surely do not want that to happen to your tattoo, take a serious note of the following tattoo aftercare instructions.Primitive Outpost

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great hotspot for tattoo design thoughts can be the tattoo magazines that you find at your book shops. mehndi images

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig