Saturday, February 12, 2011

{my medical dramas & the c word.}


My body likes to keep things exciting. You know, since it gets bored with being so healthy.

::insert sigh here::

After being diagnosed with celiac, and going on a gluten-free diet, I immediately felt better. I had my energy back, and gained some of the weight I lost back, and I looked and felt healthier. I no longer felt pain everyday....until last summer.

Slowly, the pain started resurfacing. I ignored it in the beginning, thinking it was probably caused from eating at a gluten contaminated restaurant. However, the pain began getting stronger and coming more often. This past September, when I started my sophomore year, I decided to cook lunch and dinner and only eat in the dinning hall for breakfast. I had separate pots and pans, and shopped at Whole Foods.

In October, I had my celiac levels checked and they were high. Not good.

The pain continued and in November I had my levels checked again. They were the same. By December, my levels had risen yet again. On a strict gluten free diet, there is no reason for this. This means that somehow gluten is getting into my system. I also began losing weight and lost fifteen pounds in about eight days.

It was like two years ago all over again. In the beginning of January, my tests we so bad the next diagnosis they considered was lymphoma.

The word cancer hit me hard. The week of testing I went through was the worst week of my life. I had an upper endoscopy, a capsule endoscopy, an MRI, and a colonoscopy all within eight days. Needless to say, I've had better weeks. Thankfully THANKFULLY I do not have cancer. I'll explain the verdict in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig